470 W. State Highway 152
Mustang, OK 73064
Hours: Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm
or By Appointment
Mustang Historical Society documents the history of the community, including the larger Mustang Township. Today as in the beginning, much of the area is rural/agricultural, with no large industrial or manufacturing employers. Much of the Society’s museum is devoted to early Mustang.
The town’s strengths are its good schools and government, strong banks, many small merchants and services, the Chamber of Commerce, an expansive civic center in a sprawling city park, two newspapers, several restaurants and cafes, and a friendly, easy-to-know citizenry.
The community started during the Oklahoma Run of ’89. Mustang quickly thrived on farming and ranching. At century’s turn, the business district stretched along Mustang Road between the Frisco Railroad tracks and Dowden Drive.
Much of the community was demolished in a tornado in 1927. That disaster also swept away many photographs and city documents. However, long time families of the community often have pictures and family heirlooms. The Society hopes to obtain access to more of those historical items. Most of the museum items are donated. Written descriptions are welcome to document the relationship each item has with the community of Mustang.
Since its inception, the Society has occupied a brick building at 470 W SH-152 in downtown Mustang. A former city police and fire station, the museum building shares space with Mustang Kiwanis Club and the Fraternal Order of Police.
The museum is unique with its Mustang Jail, a 1960s-era lockup about 12-feet square. The jail is the museum's most popular display, complete with bars, a prisoner’s striped uniform and a door that snaps shut with a loud “bang.”
The museum has numerous household items.
Drawing on its rural roots, the museum also shows colorful Czech native dress, pioneer style bonnets, and a scale model of a one-room school. Also among the many items are a vintage phonograph and sewing machine, cream separator and grain grinder, scrub board and wash tub, and a choice collection of ceramic bells.
Visitors will find a baseball uniform worn by Clyde Elliott when he played for the 1946 Mustang Baseball Team; a Friendship Quilt made in 1935 by 12 residents of Mustang; and a New Perfection Kerosene Cook Stove circa 1930-1940.
On several occasions Mustang’s All America Bank has sponsored a month-long history display at the Mustang Public Library.
For more information on the Mustang Historical Society please contact
President Dolly (Husmann) Priest at (405) 745-3365 or
Vice President Glen Muse at (405) 376-2695.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 464, Mustang OK 73064
Annual Membership: $10 individual, $15 group
Lifetime Membership: $100